Wednesday, November 22

Day 22 - "T"

Today I have a tutorial to share with you that's all about adding a bit more oomph to your pre-coloured digital stamps. You'll need a printed, pre-coloured image and your choice of colouring medium. I've gone with a little snowman printed on kraft coloured card stock and I'm using Prismacolor pencils. For the best results, don't forget to choose the right paper for the colouring medium you're using.


1. Print your pre-coloured image onto card stock and select your colouring medium. Try to match the colours of your pencils or markers to the colours that are already in the image. You won't have much success colouring a red hat over black printer ink!


2. Now pick an area to start colouring and apply a very light layer. (If you're colouring with pencils, don't press too firmly. If you're colouring with markers or paints, select a very light shade.) Go in again and add some darker colour (by pressing more firmly on your pencil or choosing a darker paint or marker) in the areas that would be in shadow. Remember that the pre-coloured stamp will more than likely have the shadowing and highlighting done for you, so you don't need to be particularly fussy.


3. Now repeat the process for the other areas of the image until it's fully coloured. This is a great technique for practising your colouring skills or for boosting your printed images... especially when the printer is a little lack lustre.


YOUR TURN: Create a card using the letter "T" as your prompt.
Click on the link to add a photo of your creation:

Stamps: Mr. Snowflake

23 comments:

KathyA. said...

I haven't thought of adding color to pre-colored images. You are genius... and so very talented! Thanks for the lesson!

NanaConnie said...

Great tutorial, Beccy! I love adding shading to pre-colored images and I find that the technique has taught me a lot about coloring outline images on my own. :-D Thanks.

Aunty Sue said...

Great Tutorial and love the idea of printing coloured image onto kraft card. The pencils really brought him to life. Thanks

Suze said...

What a great idea. Adding colour to pre-coloured images is something that has never crossed my mind! Great card too Beccy.

Marianne said...

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial, Beccy. I have been wanting to try adding coloured pencil to pre-coloured images, but I had no idea they would print out so well on kraft cardstock. Now I must go and try both.

Debi said...

A terrific tutorial for "t" day. Thanks a bunch.

Colinda said...

Thanks for the tutorial, never tried to print a pre coloured image on kraft. Looks great!!

Suzanne H said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to practice this if I ever get out of work :(

Donna said...

What a wonderful idea to add texture to the printed image! It really had never occurred to me to add more color to pre-colored images. I've added lines with gel pens but this makes perfect sense. That snowman reminds me of when our kids were little and they would drag all kinds of things out of the house to dress him up. We didn't have any pipes laying around but definitely hats, scarves and mittens would disappear. So cute! Thanks for the memories.

Liz said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've never thought to print on kraft card, or to add colour to a pre-coloured image. Thanks for the inspiration. Super card, such a cute and adorable image. xx

aussie aNNie said...

Never actually printed on Kraft and although I have made my card for today this is one tutorial to keep. thanks.x

Mel C said...

Awesome idea to print on kraft, love the look! I have colored over pre-colored images (this month, a few times because my color ink was low and I couldn't throw any of your images away)!

Suzanne H said...

Oops! I forgot to alliterate. Terrific tutorial today!

TracyM #6773 said...

T-errific snowman and AWESOME colouring!
WOW - the pencils look amazing - THANK YOU for the tutorial and inspiration, I really need to try colouring with pencils instead of markers :)

Edwina said...

Great tutorial! I love that this snowman is different. He looks like he really is smoking his pipe. Your card is fabulous! Edwina Brown

Margreet said...

Great tutorial....will give it a try!
xxx Margreet

Megan J said...

Hi Beccy, a fabulous tutorial and reminder to try colouring on Kraft card for a different look. Thank you for the inspiration and fun... have a wonderful weekend... Megan

Dagmar said...

Thank you for this tutorial. Time to give it a try.

Great Card.

KT Fit Kitty said...

What a difference this makes! I like to use precoloured images myself and I sometimes add my own colouring but most of the time I don't. Will have to give this a go! This looks amazing on kraft! Thanks, Beccy!

Teresa said...

Cute! Thank you.

Colinda said...

Hihihi, just posted my "S" card, I know I'm a bit Too late, hope that that "T" also counts :)

terrie said...

Thanks for this coloring technique didn't know one could color over colored images.....great tutorial

Fikreta said...

lovely card!