Friday, November 20

Day 20 - Negative Colouring (tutorial)

Usually when we colour in, we start with a light background and add colour and shadows to give the appearance of a three dimensional image.  Today I want to show you how to work in reverse... instead of adding shadows we are going to be adding highlights.  Although this can be done using multiple colours, I'm going to stick with a simple black and white palette.
 
 
YOUR TURN: Use the tutorial below to colour an image for your next card.
Upload your creation HERE.
 
 
For today's project, you'll need a stamp, a piece of black cardstock, a white ink pad and a white pencil.  Begin by stamping the image directly onto the black cardstock with the white ink.  It doesn't matter if the ink is a little transparent, we'll make up for that with our white pencil.

 
Very lightly apply a layer of white pencil on the focal point of your image.  You want it nice and soft so that you can build up the intensity of the pigment as you work.  Leave areas of obvious shadow uncoloured - if you have a look at the bird below, you'll see that I didn't colour beneath her wing.

 
Now start adding some highlights.  The whitest areas of the image will be the places where the light hits directly.  In my case, that means the ends of feathers, the top of the head and beak and the end of the tail.  You can apply the white pencil in layers to build up the intensity of colour.  Don't be tempted to do it all in one go or you will end up with a very obvious division between light and dark... you want it to be gradual.

 
If you have a close look at the holly leaf below, you can see that I've used individual pencil strokes placed very close together.  You can do this by "flicking" the pencil carefully from light to shadow, as though you were doing quick hatching lines.  As the pencil lifts off the paper it will leave a tail that gradually fades out... this does take a little bit of practice.  For the best results, follow the shape of the object you're colouring.
 
 
For the rounded holly berries I started by adding a heavy white line on the side that would be facing the light source.  In my case, the top, left hand side.  Work from that area down to the opposite side, gradually fading out the pencil by reducing the pressure you apply as you colour.

 
I added a little more pencil to the border and edges of my images to bring it altogether.  As the pencil is so soft and prone to smudging, I finished by applying a single coat of matt spray varnish - hairspray works too!


35 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh my, this looks amazing, Beccy. I never thiught of colouring this way. Thanks for the eye opener.

Unknown said...

Evening Beccy what a gorgeous card and I love all your pencil work and your design is wonderful.

Debs xxx
{Debs Cards}


Conny said...

I've never seen this done - this is why I follow you and your blog. I learn so much.
Have a blessed day.
Conny

Elizabeth said...

Lovely card and an inspiring tutorial - I love the effect you have achieved and will be trying it out for myself. Elizabeth xx

Gildett de Marillac said...

Uau!!!! Fantástico, você deu um show...

Debi said...

Hmmm. Very Interesting!

Liz said...

What a stunning card! Thanks for the tutorial, definitely a technique to try. xx

cardchick's world said...

This is absolutely Gorgeous!!!!! I would luv to see a youtube step by step how it was done!!! PLEASE????

aussie aNNie said...

Well blow me down with a feather, I have NEVER seen this technique and it is so interesting....one to make today mmmmm need to find my white pencil...thanks for this easy to follow tut.xx

aussie aNNie said...

Well blow me down with a feather, I have NEVER seen this technique and it is so interesting....one to make today mmmmm need to find my white pencil...thanks for this easy to follow tut.xx

Sarah said...

Beccy, this is absolutely beautiful. I have never seen this technique before but I need to check into it more because this is too beautiful to pass up learning how to do. Sarah W

Teresa said...

Looks like a fun technique to try! Thank you.

Teresa said...

Looks like a fun technique to try! Thank you.

Donna said...

What beautiful work, Beccy! Thank you for the tutorial.It's always fun to try new things. I don't usually work with dark backgrounds. This is gorgeous!

nacine said...

Thats looks so wonderful. Thank you for the tutorial.

loz said...

This is fabulous Beccy. Thanks for the tutorial. I am off to find my white ink pad..Loz

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! This is one of the most SPECTACULAR technique tutorials I have EVER seen!!! Your image is stunning....swoon! You make it look so incredibly easy and your break-down photos are fabulous!! I must go buy a white ink pad & pencils ;-) Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Kath said...

A fabulous card and a great tutorial.
Kath x

Suze said...

Wow. This looks really effective. It's a technique I've never come across before but your tutorial gives me all the info I need to give it a go. Now, where's my white ink pad????

Crafting Queen said...

I love this technique!

Carol Held said...

Absolutely stunning!

Chris said...

What a beautiful effect this technique achieves, your card is stunning. Your photo's make it look easy but I know that there is considerable skill applied here ...I'm going to have to give this a try, who knows- with patience- I might be able to produce something as lovely!

pst said...

Gorgeous card! Thank you for the tutorial, I am definitely going to try it.

Chris said...

What a beautiful effect this technique achieves, your card is stunning. Your photo's make it look easy but I know that there is considerable skill applied here ...I'm going to have to give this a try, who knows- with patience- I might be able to produce something as lovely!

Sandra H said...

Awww this is so pretty l love the image it's just the cutest card ever! x

Fikreta said...

this is wonderful!
have a great day
hugs
>^.^<

terrie said...

Wow, this turned out awesome....thank you for the tutorial...your image came alive as I was watching how it was done....I must try these...tfs
Well done Beccy

Deloris said...

Wow, it's amazing! Your coloring is fabulous and I love the black and white contrast! So dramatic!

janelle winchcole said...

Hi Beccy, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful card and its tutorial with us. Well you certainly make it sound easy enough, yeh right! but coming from someone who can only do a passable stick figure, I think I'm in for a long day. So off I go...practice makes perfect so they say. Janelle x

Stampsnob. said...

WOW this is a gorgeous technique .........Lis

kiwimeskreations said...

Thank you so very much for this tutorial Beccy - I have never seen this technique.. I must have a go later on!!
Blessings
Maxine

Olga Fink said...

Beautiful card! Great technique! Very inspiring!

Charlene Mitchell said...

Gorgeous, Gorgeous, GORGEOUS Beccy. I have saved my email with this tutorial - definitely going to have to try it - your card is incredible!

ike said...

Eeeek !!! How AWESOME !!! :-D

Hugz
IKE xx

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog
FB Fan Page
Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

Aliselle said...

Je ne suis pas sûre d'avoir autant de talent que toi, mais cela donne envie d'essayer!.... C'est vraiment superbe!...
Merci pour le partage.