Tuesday, March 12

Coordinating Colours


Welcome to our very first HOT TIP TUESDAY
Hot Tip Tuesdays will feature little tips and tricks to help you with your paper-crafting projects. Not quite enough information for a full tutorial, but still useful enough to share. Feel free to email us with your own little tips and tricks, or add them in the comment section below.

Today's tips are all about coordinating colours. Everyone has a different method for choosing the colours that will go into a project. Some will go for their favourite colour scheme or the favourite colours of the recipient, others look for photo realism. I tend to let my patterned papers and embellishments guide the direction of my colouring.


Downloading and colouring a chart for each of your mediums is a good idea as it allows you to see the colours "in real life". Often the colour on the lid of the marker or the outside of the pencil is not really representative of what you get on paper. Make sure you print the chart on the same paper you will usually colour with. For example, if you're making a chart of alcohol markers, make sure you print on a piece of blending card.


I start by selecting patterned papers that I think will fit my theme. In this case, I'm making a card for one of my teenage nephews so I'm going with papers that I think he would like. Next, I use the colour chart to try and select markers that match the colours in the papers. If you're using several tones and shades, try to match the colour that you'll use most in the image. Choose your embellishments in the same way for a harmonious overall design.


Stamps:

7 comments:

KathyA. said...

How have I not seen this digi set until now? Gotta have it... and now really have a hankering for fast food. Yummy.

Jackie T said...

Hi Beccy thank you for the tips. Your card is gorgeous. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Donna said...

I can't tell you how many times I've colored first and then tried to match papers (an so regretted that decision). I'm going to try this way. It has to be easier than trying to match my coloring after the fact. Thanks for the tip!

Gail said...

Fab tips - I have a color chart for one of my marker sets - nice work on the card and the matching - TFS

Teresa said...

Cute card. I match my colors to the paper. Makes it so much easier---lol--I learned the hard way to do that.

Donna Ellis said...

Great coloring tip, Beccy! Thanks for the tip!

terrie said...

I like the idea of choosing your paper first than color....great tip and tfs
loved the sentiment to go with the image...too cute