Friday, July 5

Painted Blooms Card

Adding lots of layers to a card can sometimes add too much bulk, which can be problematic if you want to send your card through the post. One way of reducing the amount of card stock or paper that you're using on a project is to cut mats from the centre of your layers. For this card, I've taken circles from the centre of both the red and blue piece of card stock and used them to mat my image. It reduces the bulk in the centre and saves on card stock too!


I started by die cutting circles from the centre of each piece of card stock. The red circle has a larger diameter than the blue circle so that they can be layered together.


Secure the red piece to your card base, then simply build up the layers making sure you cover each cut as you go. This technique will work with squares, rectangles and most other standard shapes. You might have a little trouble with fancier shapes so it's best to try them out before you begin cutting. Just lay the dies on top of each other to give you an idea of how the cuts will look.


digital stamps

9 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Great use of the card stock - thanks for sharing. I have been known to cut the centre out of layers, and simply put them aside to use at a later date, but this is a fabulous way to use them.
Blessings
Maxine

Jackie T said...

Hi Beccy this is a gorgeous card. I love those flowers they are gorgeous. I must admit I do this with my cards all the time. It does save on card and everything matches. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Crafting Queen said...

Stunning card,I just love the colour combination!

terrie said...

Pretty card, I like everything about it....great idea about taking bulk away....tfs

Mel C said...

Wonderful image and card Beccy!

Anne Buckingham said...

Hi Beccy. Your card is lovely and delicate with the frame. The cost of card making can be expensive so your advice on using cardstock from under layers is great to save money and bulk.

Teresa said...

Pretty!

Barbara said...

I guess I'm just not following: You took the centers out and then put them back so how did you reduce the thickness for sending through the post? Why take them out if you are going to put them back?

Beccy said...

Hi Barbara. On first glance it looks like I have five layers of card stock not including the card base. There are the two large squares - one red and one blue, then on top of that there are two circles - one red and one blue, followed by the image. That's quite a lot of bulk. By removing the circles from the centres of the two large squares I'm basically removing two of those layers. The circles are placed in the same location from where they were removed, just in a different order. I've reduced the overall weight and bulk of the card, but still have all the layers I want.
Cheers,
Beccy