Sunday, October 14

Tutorial - Petal Fold Cards


Petal Fold cards are so named because they have petal-like flaps that fold out to give the impression of a flower. You can alter the centre shape to have more "petals" if you prefer - for example, a pentagon will give you five "petals", a hexagon will give you six, and so on. The only thing you need to remember is that each "petal" can be no wider than half the width of the centre shape.


1. To make a finished, folded card measuring 4" square, you'll need a piece of card stock measuring 8" x 8".

2. Place the card stock on your score board and score at 2". Turn the card stock 90° and score again at 2". Turn the card stock another 90° and score at 2". Turn the card stock 90° for the final time and score at 2". You should now have four score lines that resemble a tic-tac-toe grid.


3. Use a craft knife or trimmer to remove each of the four corners along the score lines.


4. Use an oval template to round off each of the four flaps. I used an oval cutting die, traced around it with a pencil and cut away the excess with a pair of sharp scissors. Keep the cut as close as possible to the outer edge, you don't want to make the "petal" too short.
Alternatively, use a corner punch to remove the corners. Your card will look more square but the effect will still be the same.


5. That's it for the card base... now to decorate!

6. Use the "petals" as a template to cut some patterned paper. I cut mine a little smaller than each petal so that I would be left with a border. You'll also need a square piece for the centre of the card.


7. I added a white piece of card stock to the bottom "petal" so I could write a message to the recipient.

8. Cut another four pieces of patterned paper for the outside of the card, using the "petals" as a template. Again, I made the patterned paper slightly smaller so that I'd be left with a little border.


9. You can decorate the outside of your card however you desire. I decided to secure a large piece of ribbon to the back of my card so that I could tie it closed. The ribbon bow does double duty as decoration for my completed card.


Products:

3 comments:

Suze said...

I like this fold Beccy. I'll add it to the ones of yours that I want to try but haven't had a chance to yet. Thanks for the great tutorial

Jackie T said...

Oh Beccy this is a gorgeous card. I love the central image and the design is amazing. Thank you for the tutorial. Take care. Hugs Jackie

paloma34 said...

tres joli....