Wednesday, April 18

Tutorial - Cascade Card - 2 piece


Considering how complicated this card looks when it's completed, I was actually surprised (and pleased) by how simple it really is.  It's actually two card blanks, cut on an angle, and joined together by a couple of slits.  It folds flat for easy postage and can easily be made in different sizes depending on your envelope.


1. Start with two card blanks measuring 6" tall x 8" long.


2.  Lay each piece horizontally (landscape) on your score board and score at 4", which will be the centre fold.


3.  Now cut a diagonal section from the top of each piece of cardstock, starting at one of the top corners.  It doesn't matter how steep your angle or how much you cut off as long as it's the same amount on both pieces of cardstock.  On one sheet, begin the cut from the top left corner, and on the other sheet begin the cut from the top right corner.  (For interest sake, my cut goes from the top corner to 3" down the side.)



4.  This next part is a little bit tricky... 2" from either end, rule a vertical line down each piece of card then measure and mark the centre of each of those lines.  I found the easiest way to do this was to use a centering ruler and pencil.



5.  Use a craft knife and ruler to cut from the centre mark down to the BOTTOM on ONE piece of card.  Then cut from the centre mark up to the TOP on the other piece of card.  These are the slits that will join the card together.  Erase the lines.


6.  Fold along the score lines you made in step 2... then have a quick go at slotting the two pieces together.  You may need to adjust your cuts if the two pieces don't line up properly.



7.  Use co-ordinating papers to decorate the front and inside of the card pieces.  Don't forget to cut the slits back in once you have added the patterned paper.


8.  Add some pretty punched borders, again remembering to cut the slits where necessary.



9.  Fit the pieces back together and then add another strip of punched cardstock along the bottom.  This will help support the card since it goes over both pieces of cardstock.


10.  Make a tag measuring 33/4" wide x 41/2" tall and add a punched strip along the top.  This will slide nicely inside the card and is perfect for a sentiment and a message to your recipient.



11.  Now decorate your card as desired.  Have fun!

31 comments:

Aunty Sue said...

oh wow this looks brilliant a such wow factor if i am feeling brave will have ago. Thanks for sharing

bbsox55 said...

Yes! I really like this. Thanks so much for sharing, I hope your store is doing great too!

Teresa said...

Very nice!!

Annette Bowes said...

Gorgeous card Beccy, fantastic tutorial, thanks for sharing, take careX:)

Jennie said...

Lovely Beccy! Thanks for sharing the tut with us!

loz said...

Stunning card and tutorial Beccy. I made one of these but it kept falling apart. Now I have seen your instructions I will have another go..Loz

Hussena said...

oh wow your card is just gorgeous!!! thank you so much for sharing this tutorial you have really explained it so well:)

Anne said...

Wow, this looks stunning, thanks for sharing. Hugs x

Catherine said...

Really pretty card and fab tutorial......

Eret said...

Wow, it is so beautiful card. I'll surtenly try to make my own :) Thank you for tutorial
Eret xx

lissy-hanne said...

Hvor er det smukt.

KarinsArtScrap said...

thank you for the tutorial beccy.
this is looking great.

greetings karin

Holly Young said...

How different and so pretty! Thanks for sharing the how to!

Glenda Atkins said...

Thanks for the tutorial and your card turned out beautifully!

CraftyGirl said...

Beccy, you make it look so easy. Thanks for the tutorial your card is just awesome.

TTFN,

CraftyGirl

Myrna said...

Beccy
Such a beautiful card. Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial.
Myrna

Anonymous said...

Been checking in for this for a while now and I love it Beccy!Beautiful card and easy tutorial. Evelyn J

Dee said...

WOW! This card is awesome....I am definitely going to try making it! Thanks!

gata salvaje said...

It`s so beautiful card,thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Thanks for the great tutorial Beccy, you have made a beautiful card made too

Foxycrafts said...

Thanks for this tutorial, Beccy. What a fantastic idea and card.

Love Joan xx

doodlingdebbie said...

Beccy, I love your tutorials and art. Thank you so much for the excellent tutorial. I made one for my Mom for mother's day and shared it on my blog. You're awesome! - XXX Debbie

Marci said...

I love love love this card!
Can I post it in my very new G+ Community? I would like to share your tutorial and encourage the girls into making it along with me.
:D
EMPAPELARCI

Beccy said...

Hi Marci,
Feel free to add a link back to my blog, but I prefer you not repost the entire tutorial on your site.
Cheers,
Beccy

Anonymous said...

this is amazing -- i've never seen this style of card,and your tutorial is excellent. Beautifully decorated Beccy!

Unknown said...

Thank you Beccy for the tutorial. very easy to follow. I will have a go at making my own now from the template I have made.

Unknown said...

Thank you Beccy for the tutorial. very easy to follow. I will have a go at making my own now from the template I have made.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding tutorial! You truly made it so easy to follow. Great pictures too! Thank you!

Unknown said...

i love so much your works , i begining with this art but i,m very happy with this, i,ll do communion cards for my son he is a boy i will to be than perfect than you for the work . thank you for all

Unknown said...

Beautiful card and well written instructions. Thank you!

Linda said...

I am excited to make this for Mothers day. I am so glad I found your blog. Thank you for sharing.