Wednesday, June 22

Tutorial - Double Gatefold Card


At my card club recently we did a shoe box swap where we brought along card kits we had put together for the other members at our table. The idea was to pass the kits around so that everyone made a card from each person at the table, resulting in a nice little stash by the end of the day. I decided to make this double gatefold card using punches, butterflies and patterned papers.

Requirements: A4 cardstock base (8 1/4" x 11 3/4") Patterned paper 8" x 3 3/4" Two strips of green patterned paper 8" x 2" Small offcut of white cardstock Vine punch (I used a Martha Stewart punch) Lattice border punch (I used a Martha Stewart border punch) Small flower punch (I used an EK success punch) Self adhesive pearls (I used Kaisercraft pearls) Paper butterflies (I used Collections Elements Creative Butterflies) Sentiment stamp (I used Stamping Up Sincere Salutations) Score board and score tool Foam mat Ink pad Double sided tape Small foam dots Wet glue (I used Glossy Accents) Glue pen (I used Zig Squeeze and Roll)

1. Use the score board and scoring tool to score the cardstock at 1 7/8", 3 7/8", 7 7/8" and 9 7/8". Fold the card in the following way, from left to right: mountain fold, valley fold, valley fold, mountain fold. Open the card back out.

2. Use the border punch to punch a decorative edge down both short sides of the cardstock.

3. Use the vine punch to punch two vine strips from the green paper.

4. Put glue on the back of the stems of the vine (don't worry about adding any glue to the leaves), and adhere the vines as close as possible to the punched edges of the card.

5. Ink the edges of the 8" x 3 3/4" piece of patterned paper and adhere it to the centre panel of the card - you will have a little border around all four edges.

6. Stamp a little sentiment on the bottom of the panel to the right of the centre panel.

7. Punch 10 - 12 little flowers from the scrap of white cardstock.

8. Place the flowers on the foam mat and shape each by pushing a stylus down firmly in the centre of the flower until the petals fold upward.

9. Use wet glue to adhere the flowers to the vine. It is best to group them randomly and offset the two sides so that when the card is closed the flowers aren't all in one place. Add a pearl to the centre of each flower.

10. Cut out two or three butterflies. If you don't have printed butterflies you could stamp and colour some in or download some of the free digis or clip art from the internet.

11. Apply a couple of foam dots on the back of each butterfly wing. Add some wet glue down the centre of each body.

12. Press the butterflies on to the vine in various places. The body should be flush with the card while the wings will be raised by the foam dots.

Fold the whole thing back together and you're done! The card should fit nicely into a standard DL sized envelope or you could get super creative and make your own.

24 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Jennie said...

Great card Beccy!

Myrna said...

Beccy
This is great.
Thanks for giving me some more ideas. Hope you don't mind if use your idea.
Myrna

Anonymous said...

This card is Lovely, I just Love it! Carol

Carina said...

Lovely card.

BlueCat said...

Beautiful card and I enjoyed the tutorial. Thank you.

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful card beccy also the shape of the card.

greetings karin

Crafting Queen said...

Beautiful card, love it!

lissy-hanne said...

Smukt kort og tak for de gode ideer.
kh

Judi Harvey said...

Beccy, I love this card! I used your measurements for scoring and it isn't coming out right. :(

Beccy said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry Judi, I just double checked and saw that I left out one of the measurements. You need to score and fold at 3 7/8" as well. I will ammend the instructions now. Thank you for letting me know about the problem and I apologise for the error.
Cheers,
Beccy

DeAnna Goen said...

This is a beautiful card! I might have to try one out! Someone on the Operation Write Home facebook page mentioned your free digis and I thought I'd check them out.

Thanks for all your hard work creating them!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Beautiful gatefold card, love it!

Sue said...

Absoulutely beautiful card

Lucy Pochedly said...

Wonderful card I am going to try this in some kind of Christmas design. Thanks for the tutorial.

Merry said...

This is such a lovely card...and thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

Judi Harvey said...

Thanks Beccy!

MichelleMyBelle said...

This is very pretty, thanks for sharing the tut.

Ardilla said...

This is a very nice card... Love the composition and all the elements you added.
I have the same punch and I don´t use it to much but you just gave me a good idea in how to use it, I like the little flowers you made.

Sonia said...

Hi Beccy!
I like so mucho your beautiful card! I add this on my post today.
-Sony

Deebi27 said...

Wonderful tutorial, thank you!

Charlene said...

Another gorgeous card and great tutorial...thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! Thank you.

Linda

Pam Ross said...

This is absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much.