Friday, March 19

Tutorial: Tri-Shutter Card


Tri-Shutter cards look their best when standing open for display. They can be made in a variety of different sizes with slight variations to the measurements of each tier to give different looks. The one shown here has equal proportions to make construction a little easier, but once you have figured out the basics you can fiddle with the measurements depending on what embellishments you wish to use.


1. Start with a horizontal piece of cardstock measuring 6" x 12".

2. Refer to the diagram below to mark light pencil lines on the back of your piece of cardstock. There are lines drawn horizonally across the cardstock at 2" and 4" and lines drawn verticallydown the cardstock at 2", 4", 8" and 10".


3. Follow the red cut lines indicated in the diagram below. Cut horizontally across the page starting 2" from the top and 2" from the left hand side and stopping 2" from the right hand side of the page.


4. The blue lines in the diagram below indicate "mountain" folds. Use your stylus or bone folder to score along the blue lines indicated in the diagram below. Fold these locations so that they bend upward toward you (mountain fold).


5. The green lines in the diagram below indicate "valley" folds. Use your stylus or bone folder to score along the green lines indicated in the diagram below. Fold these locations so that they bend downward away from you (valley fold).




6. Press the creases firmly to make them nice and crisp. Your cardstock should now look like the picture below:




7. Rub out the pencil lines and turn your cardstock over. Cut out three pieces of co-ordinating cardstock or patterned paper measuring 3 3/4" x 1 3/4" and twelve pieces measuring 1 3/4" x 1 3/4". Adhere these to each of the areas on the card as indicated in the picture below. Although these are not strictly necessary, they do provide extra strength and support to your card and help it to stand up easily.



8. Now it's a simple matter of embellishing each of the little frames. Note that the second frame at the top and bottom do not appear on the "front cover" when the card is closed, so you might want to fold up your card when planning the layout of your embellishments. Remember to leave one or two blank areas for personal greetings and messages.



Have fun!

20 comments:

LINDA the SCRAP_ADDICT said...

OMG OMG OMG......that looks fantastic Beccy. I have always wondered what the folding & cutting was for these lil' gems. Thank you for the instructions, will have to give it a go now awesome

JoanneK said...

Whoo hooo.....I am sooo excited to try this! You make it look so easy, I'm certain it will take me some practice though! I absolutely LOVE it!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!!!

Shelley said...

Love the look of this Beccy - I'm going to give it a go!

dawn mc.kenzie said...

done this one today and also the roses on the easel card love them both always got bambozaled with the fold of the tri fold now i can do it thanks Becce Dawn Mc.Kenzie

Divya Rao said...

Oh wow! This is gorgeous! Will try one soon :) Thanks for sharing.

Anya Nebosova said...

Hello, Beccy! My name is Anya. I`m from Russia. I love making cards and am always looking for new ideas. Thank you for posting this great tutorial. I`m going to definitely try it.

Baukje said...

Hello Beccy
thank until all the pretty patroness and your works is splendid pretty!!! Salute Baukje

Helen Dooley said...

I love you ok odd, I know lol I dont mean it in a creepy way. I have had such a hard time folding this card. I had my hard drive die, so I have been working hard to find things I used to have. So im going thru your blog, and I find this. Im sure I saw it before I really was into all this but thanks so much!! I now have an understanding of it.
HUGS!

zetkaArt said...

Rewelacja !!!

Unknown said...

One of my favourite card designs Beccy and you have done it proud. I hope many followers do try this one out as it is such a rewarding finish...luv annie

Angela Westland Australia said...

Can't wait to try this one Beccy, I have done the centre step, altered gatefold, twisted easel, gatefold easel one and can't wait to try this one. Ange

Unknown said...

I made a Halloween Card tonight with this template... Thanks for sharing all of these templates..

Christine Woodward said...

I was so inspired by your beautiful card I have shared your blog to inspire some more lovely card makers thanks Chris

Calidune said...

C'est super ! J'adore !

Nellie said...

Thank you so much, Love your card. hugs

Unknown said...

Excellent tutorial. Just made my 1st Tri-Shutter Card! Thank You.

Carolina Alvarez said...

Excellent! Thank you!

pussikats said...

Thanks Beccy. Great tutorial and very easy to follow.

cookie smith said...

I have killed more trees while wasting paper trying to figure out the pattern for this and I found your site about 20 minutes ago and I am so excited. I'm making my own Christmas cards and this will make them so very special! Thank you for sharing this. Gotta go cut and paste!!! Happy Holidays!!

Annita Henkens said...

Heel erg bedankt!!! Deze kaarttechniek komt goed van pas. Binnenkort is het doopsel van mijn 3 kleinkinderen tezamen. Op deze kaart kan ik mooi de 3 namen toepassen in eenzelfde kaart.