October Challenge

The October Challenge is now up and running! Create a card or paper craft project using any Beccy's Place image and upload your creation before midnight on the 31st of October (AEST). Click here for all the details on how to enter.

Monday, May 30, 2011

A - Z of Folded Cards

I've decided to put together a list of different card folding techniques, and then slowly work through the list to produce instructions and examples on how to go about making each card. I've come up with a pretty good list of cards so far, but I need your help in finishing it off. If you can think of other types of folds that aren't mentioned below, please let me know and I'll add them. I'm not looking for techniques, such as embossing or stamping, but actual folds or types of cards. Let's see what we can put together!


A
Accordian Card
A-Frame Card
Altered Gatefold Card
Aperture Card I
Aperture Card II
Aperture Card III

B
Bendy Card
Book Box Card
Box Card
Boxed Cards

C
Cascade Card - 1 piece
Cascade Card - 2 piece
Castle Fold Card
Centre Step Card
Circle Card
Circle Side Step Card
Criss Cross Card

D
Diagonal Double Pocket Card
Diagonal Tri-fold Card
Diaper Fold Pouch
Diamond Fold Card
Diorama Card
Double Diamond Fold Card
Double Gatefold Card
Double Display Card
Double Side Step Card
Double Slider Card
Double Tent Card
Double Shutter Card
Dutch Fold Card

E
Easel Box Card
Easel Card
Easel Card, Triple
Easel Card, Twisted
Exploding Card

F
Flip Flop Card / Swing Card
Folded Handbag Card
Four Step Card
Free Standing Pop-Up Card

G
Gap Card
Gatefold Card
Gatefold Card, Altered
Gatefold Card, Double
Gatefold Window Card

H
Handbag Card, Folded

I

J
Joy Fold Card

K
Kinetic Card

L
Lattice Card / Trellis Card

M
Magic Window Card

N
Napkin Fold Card
Never Ending Card

O
Oval Side Step Card
Over the Edge Card / Tent Topper Card

P
Peek-A-Boo Card
Pocket Card
Pop-Up Book Card
Pop-Up Card I
Pop-Up Card II
Pop-Up Shadow Box Card
Pop-Up Twirl Card
Pop-Up Card, Free Standing
Pyramid Fold Card

Q

R
Rocker Card / Wobble Card

S
Secret Message Card
Serviette Fold Card
S-Fold Card
Shadow Box Card
Shaker Card
Shaped Cards
Shutter Card, Double
Side Step Card
Side Step Card, Double
Slider Card
Slider Card, Double
Slider Window Card
Spinner Card
Spiral Pop-Up Card
Spring Card
Spring Diamond Card
Squash Book Card
Stair Step Fold
Star Fold Card
Suspension Card
Swing Card / Flip Flop Card

T
Teardrop Card - Double Gatefold
Teardrop Card - Trifold
Telescoping Cards
Tent Card
Tent Card, Double
Tent Topper Card / Over the Edge Card
Theatre Card
Tilt Card
Treat Box Card
Trellis Card / Lattice Card
Triangle Tri-Fold Card
Triple Easel Card
Tri-Shutter Card
T-Slide Card
Tunnel Cards
Twisted Easel Card

U

V
Venetian Blind Card

W
Waterfall Card
Window Card
Wiper Card
Wobble Card / Rocker Card

X

Y

Z
Z-fold Card

41 comments:

  1. How about a never ending card. I did one a while ago, but found the instructions on you tube :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is fantastic! I would love to learn these various techniques and thanks so much for coming up with this idea. I have one technique I've seen but haven't tried yet-Tea Folding. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a double side-step card too...that one has two ends that are up and the stairs in the middle!!! GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks Beccy!
    Hugs,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea. This will be my go to site for ideas. It is really hard (at least for me) to find them when I don't know what they are called. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for putting this all together. I can't wait to try some of these new cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Beccy, lots of crafters are going to love this. What about a 'center step card'
    Hugs Jacee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your site and helpful reference idea. Thanks, Beccy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beccy,

    Just a few I came up with. I have been trying to compile a list but have not gotten down to it.
    Funky Fold Card, Tilt Card, Exploding Card, Expolding Box Card, Pyramid Fold Card, Pyramid Stacker Card, Decoupage Card, Window Card, S Fold Card, Diamond Fold Card, Triangle Tri Fold Card, Vest Card, Shirt Card, Double Slider Card, Slider Window Card, Trellis Card, Magic Window Card, Flip Flop Card, Triptych Card, Fun Fold Card, Iris Fold Card and Spring Fold Card.
    Hope this helps you. I can't wait to see you tutorials. Thanks

    CraftyGirl
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty,
    What a great idea. I have got a card wich I did not see in the list. In Dutch we call it an etalagekaart, a show window card. In my blog I have an example: http://wiescreablog.blogspot.com/2011/04/etalagekaart.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic idea, Beccy. I look forward to trying out some new techniques. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi, ozzie annie here, just wanted to say i love your site and all your info on everything...thanks..now off to view more...luv aussie annie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!!!
    I loved the idea!
    I know one blog that have folding card tecniques...
    this one: http://stampartic.blogspot.com/2009/06/brette-teknikker-folder-techniques.html

    I don't know if they are in the list yet...

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea. I larned alot of new ideas from reading this today!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I am definitely bookmarking your site! I love making different folded cards. I just experimented with making a napkin fold valentine. I don't see that one on your list

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow thanks for this, what a brill site

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been using the Internet as a wealth of information on learning how to make cards. Out of hundreds I have viewed yours is definitely the best site ever!! I can't open all of the Techniques on Card Folds - is it because they are not on your site yet?
    Thanks for all the great techniques and the different card folds.
    Millie Nelles

    ReplyDelete
  19. forgot to leave my email address: nellesf@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanx so much for all the effort you put into this list! It's FAB and a real big help to all of us looking for new, fun and different ways to do our cards! SOOOOOOO APPRECIATED!!! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous to have all of these in one place. I have wanted to try some of these and didn't know the names of them. Thanks so much for all your hard work. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a fantastic resource thanks sooo much for taking the time to do this I will be trying them out one by one and hoping you will be adding more - you are a star!!!

    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the good directions! I found exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely fabulous! For the novice card maker like myself this is an invaluable source of information. Just the time alone you put into this deserves a million thank yous. LOL the blogosphere should send you a thank you card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am looking for a technique where the sides of the card are folded into the middle. A design is stamped on the inside, then on the back of the side folds designs are stamped and trimmed so that when folded back into the center, it creates a picture, i.e. house in center, with snowman on left fold and sled on right fold. I hope I am explaining this technique well enough for you to understand what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for posting these. I can't wait to try some of them. May I ask why some of the links no longer work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shauna,
      The list is still a work in progress and there are lots of tutorials that I still haven't done yet. I'll keep working away on them, but I expect to be a very old lady by the time I'm finished!!!
      Cheers,
      Beccy

      Delete
  27. Well I definitely appreciate all of your hard work, I had no idea there were so many types of folds

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beccy, I just did a spinner card, Thank you so much for the tutorial, it is one of my favorite cards I have made to date

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have become your latest follower and I will be back very often to work through some of these designs, Thanks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you very much!!!
    Muchas gracias por tu trabajo. Tus creaciones son magníficas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really really really enjoying these tutorials. Having only just started 3D cards, I can't wait to try the other ones. Already done the easel, zig-zag and the criss-cross cards. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Replies
    1. Thanks Di, will add it to the list!
      Cheers,
      Beccy

      Delete
  33. This is an amazing resource. I'm so thrilled I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Beccy. Just been told about your site by my friend Wendy. It´s really great and thanks very much for all the ideas.
    Love Val in Spain x

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW- I feel like I just found a bag of gold! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  36. How do you keep your paper from buckling when you've glued it to the cardstock & fold it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti,
      The problem you're experiencing happens because the act of folding actually stretches the cardstock / paper slightly, which is why is becomes weaker at the crease. There are a couple of solutions to the problem, depending on where the fold is and what it's going to be used for. You could try folding both the cardstock and the paper and then attaching them together while already folded. No extra stretching will occur this way. However, if you are going to be unfolding again, as in a card opening, you will still get the problem of buckling.
      Alternatively, you can cut your patterned paper in half and place one piece on either side of the cardstock fold. The cut will open and close as the cardstock is folded.
      A third option is to simply use patterned cardstock. These days you can easily find a huge array of wonderful digital papers that print beautifully onto cardstock. The problem of folding and buckling will no longer be an issue.
      I hope this helps!
      Cheers,
      Beccy

      Delete
  37. Hi Beccy. Just found your site. Gosh, it is like opening a never ending present,lol

    Thank you for such an inspiring site, plus all your hard work. Best wishes from the U.K. Jan.

    ReplyDelete