Wednesday, April 7

Secret Book Box

Hidden Treasures
Altered Book Box
My husband is an avid book collector and has hundreds of wonderful old collector's edition science fiction novels. Most of them are in wonderful, pristine condition with protective plastic wrap around them, but some are just tired, worn out and ready for the recycle bin. The pages in this book were starting to crumble and tear and had yellowed significantly by the time I got my hands on it. So, instead of sending it to the Great Library in the Sky, I decided to give it a new life... don't know how my sci-fi loving husband will feel about it though!






I made sure I gave all the pages of the book a good coating of Modge Podge to protect them from further degradation and to add a layer between the papers and fabric that I was adding. I always coat my completed off the page projects with matte varnish as well, which helps protect them from moisture and dust.

The well that I cut inside the book has been lined with white felt that I hand stitched and ribbon embroidered. The white swirls are all Kaisercraft stamps that I heat embossed to give a lovely, opaque finish.

P.S. Hubby loved the end result... he said it's even better now than it was before. Strangely though, there's now a padlock on our glass fronted bookcase. (???)

3 comments:

JoanneK said...

How beautiful! What a great way to recycle an old book! Padlock??? LOL Too funny!

LINDA the SCRAP_ADDICT said...

Oh Beccy that looks beautiful.

Jac Piper said...

that looks beautiful